* Customising Individual Property Box

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
arthurk
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Customising Individual Property Box

Post by arthurk »

I'm trying to do a bit of customising to the Individual Property Box, and would be grateful for a bit of help, please - assuming what I would like is actually possible.

1. Caption
Rather than the default RecordID, I'd like the CustomID to be appended to the name, so I've changed the Data Ref to %INDI% - %INDI.REFN[1]%, which comes out as John Smith - A1. If there isn't a CustomID (I only use them for direct ancestors), it would come out as Thomas Smith -. Not perfect, but reasonably acceptable.

If possible I'd prefer it to look like John Smith (A1), but then I get Thomas Smith (), which doesn't look as good. So is it possible to introduce some conditionality, so that if there is a Custom ID it will appear with whatever dashes or brackets I specify, but if there isn't, there's just the name and nothing else?

2. Data Entry Boxes
I wasn't keen on the Occupation box, because it may not show a person's most significant occupation, so for now I've replaced it with Nickname. What I'm wondering is whether it's possible to have a box showing the person's relationship to the file root. I've looked around for a possible Data Ref, but haven't found one, so could anyone help me out, please?

3. Rearrange Tabs
I've experimented briefly with a custom tab (and deleted it again). From memory it positioned itself between the Main and Facts tabs, but what I was wondering was whether there is any way to rearrange tabs, so that custom ones go to the right-hand end, for example.

If I've understood it correctly, the fhugdownloads:contents:property_box_tab_organiser|Utility ~ Property Box Tab Organiser for v.4 had the facility to rearrange tabs, but I can't see this as a native feature in v.6, so have I missed something? Or might that part of the utility still be useful?

Thanks,

Arthur
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Customising Individual Property Box

Post by tatewise »

1. Caption

Yes, =ExistsText( %INDI.REFN%, Text( " (" . %INDI.REFN% . ")" ) ) will do that conditional Custom Id in brackets.

The ExistsText() function only actions its 2nd parameter if the 1st parameter exists.
In this case the 2nd parameter is the Text() function that joins the opening bracket " (" with Custom Id and closing bracket ")".

See how_to:understanding_functions|> Understanding Functions for further details.

2. Data Entry Boxes

What I do is keep the Sex & Occupation standard fields and add two custom fields for INDI.OCCU[last-1] and INDI.OCCU[last] to show the last two occupations.

The relationship to File Root is a function (that can be found in the Records Window Configure Columns dialogue, and elsewhere) and is =Relationship(FileRoot()). Unfortunately, custom Property Box tabs do NOT support functions. However, you could add it to the Caption.

3. Rearrange Tabs

In the Customize Property Box tabs dialogue click the Help button and it explains all.
In FH V6 the number next to the tab name is its position.

BTW: FH V5 had More Tab Tasks > Move Tab Up/Down.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

tatewise wrote:1. Caption

Yes, =ExistsText( %INDI.REFN%, Text( " (" . %INDI.REFN% . ")" ) ) will do that conditional Custom Id in brackets.

The ExistsText() function only actions its 2nd parameter if the 1st parameter exists.
In this case the 2nd parameter is the Text() function that joins the opening bracket " (" with Custom Id and closing bracket ")".

See how_to:understanding_functions|> Understanding Functions for further details.
Many thanks for this. As a new user I'm still making sure my imported data is intact, and haven't yet explored functions. But I did think I'd try to customise the interface a bit.
2. Data Entry Boxes

What I do is keep the Sex & Occupation standard fields and add two custom fields for INDI.OCCU[last-1] and INDI.OCCU[last] to show the last two occupations.
I hadn't realised that last and last-1 were possible, but for myself, I think I'll leave out occupations for now. However, I like it that there's so much that can be customised, and maybe I'll revisit this later.
The relationship to File Root is a function (that can be found in the Records Window Configure Columns dialogue, and elsewhere) and is =Relationship(FileRoot()). Unfortunately, custom Property Box tabs do NOT support functions. However, you could add it to the Caption.
That's slightly disappointing, but I can live with it. I'm not sure about putting it in the Caption, though. I could lose the default "Individual:" and reduce the font size, but I suspect there still wouldn't be a lot of room for some of the more complex relationships to show in full.
3. Rearrange Tabs

In the Customize Property Box tabs dialogue click the Help button and it explains all.
In FH V6 the number next to the tab name is its position.

BTW: FH V5 had More Tab Tasks > Move Tab Up/Down.
:oops: Forgot to look in Help - but actually this doesn't do what I'd hoped. I'm not unhappy with the default Facts - Notes - Media - All tabs, but I was wondering if it would be possible to have the custom ones at the right hand end. All that's happening for me is that this number sorts the custom tabs among themselves, rather than in relation to the default ones, so whatever I do, they are stuck between the Main and Facts tabs. (Is this how it's always been? - v.6 is my first experience of FH.)

I was thinking that eventually it might be useful to have some kind of Research tab modelled on the To-Do tab (as in fhugdownloads:contents:fact_set_to_do_lists|Fact Set ~ To Do Lists and how_to:create_work_in_progress_or_research_to_do_lists|Create Work In Progress or Research To Do Lists), but if I found I was using the other tabs more often, it would make sense for it to be slightly less visible/accessible.

Anyway, thanks again.

Arthur
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Why not put the Custom Id (%INDI.REFN%) instead of the Occupation on Main tab?
(You must discard the standard Sex & Occupation as it cannot be edited, and create your own Sex & Custom Id.)

Then there would be more room in the Caption for =Relationship(FileRoot()) especially if you got rid of Individual:.

Yes, the custom tabs can be at the far right-hand end after All. You just have not increased the number far enough.

The download custom To Do Property Box Tab is exactly what you need.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

Plenty to think about here, and experiment with. I expect I'll continue tweaking it every few days for the next couple of years or so...
tatewise wrote:Why not put the Custom Id (%INDI.REFN%) instead of the Occupation on Main tab?
(You must discard the standard Sex & Occupation as it cannot be edited, and create your own Sex & Custom Id.)
I have now done this, and may well stick with it, but thanks for the Function info for the Caption.
Then there would be more room in the Caption for =Relationship(FileRoot()) especially if you got rid of Individual:.
I've now tried this too, and for most people it seems OK. Where I run out of room is for a fairly long name, then "1st cousin twice removed's wife", which gets truncated. So on balance, I think I'll just stick to names for now; the relationship is in the Focus Window anyway, so as long as I get used to where to look for it, I won't be missing anything.
Yes, the custom tabs can be at the far right-hand end after All. You just have not increased the number far enough.
Oh, so simple.... When I tried it first it didn't occur to me that the numbers could increase beyond the number of custom tabs, but I'm pleased that it does.
The download custom To Do Property Box Tab is exactly what you need.
Thought it might be, but first I really do need to try to stop tinkering and get on with checking my imported data. Thanks again,

Arthur