* Showing marriage in diagram

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Paje51
Family Historian: V6

Showing marriage in diagram

Post by Paje51 »

I am a new user of FH6. When I view a diagram it sometimes puts '=' to show a marriage, other times it will show 'spouse' - it seems to swap around from one to the other without any apparent reason and there can be a mixture of both on one diagram. I am also having a problem with brothers & sisters being changed around in order without any input from me and on one occasion the diagram has shown the first name at the beginning of the row and then repeated at the end of the row with his wife. I would be grateful for any help me anyone can give me with this problem.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Showing marriage in diagram

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.
I have moved this to the FH General Usage Forum because the General Forum is for non-FH topics.

Whether a Diagram uses = or puts Spouse in same box as partner depends on Diagram Options, and may be different in various types of Diagram, and can be changed at will.

The Installation Settings in Diagram > Options > General tab is for Spouse display options to to put Spouses in own box connected by =.
It sounds like you have change that to One box per marriage which puts Spouse details in same box as partner when only one spouse, but for multiple spouses = is still used.
These settings are also near the middle of the Diagram Window Toolbar and the icons look like 2, 4, or 6 tiny boxes. Hover you cursor on the icons for a tooltip popup, and click F1 for Help.

The order of siblings depends on the order they are stored within the Family Record in your database rather than Date of Birth order. You can use various methods to adjust their order, but the most comprehensive is Tools > Re-order Out-of-Sequence Data to sort everything into Date order.

If person is shown twice in separate boxes it is eithetr because they exist twice in your data, or one of them is a Proxy box designed to improve the Diagram layout. Proxy boxes only show the Name, are transparent with a dotted border, and are connected to the main box. Duplicated data boxes will have full details and a solid colour & border.

As a newcomer I advise working through how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers especially the Documentation and Tutorials, otherwise you risk making data entry decisions you may regret later.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry