* Where is my project (.fh_proj) folder

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
bormley
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Where is my project (.fh_proj) folder

Post by bormley »

(Apologies if this has been asked before but I can't find any info!)

I have previously, probably within FH 4 or 5, started a 'book' under the 'Publish', 'Books' drop down tab but now I just get the message "This feature is only available within the context of a FH Project". :?

However, search as I may, I cannot find my (*.fh_proj) project files, only my GED.COM files .

Can anyone help wth what I have (or haven't!) done, please?

Any help very much appreciated.

TIA

Chris
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Where is my project (.fh_proj) folder

Post by tatewise »

Publish > Book was only introduced with FH V5.

It sounds like you have upset your Project file & folder structure, either for the one Project or perhaps all your Projects.

The key things to review at are:
  • What does FH say in the very top window border Family Historian Gedcom or Family Historian Project.
  • Can you open your Projects via the File > Project Window?
  • See how_to:v4:understanding_projects|> Understanding Projects especially the section Project Structure.
If you still cannot resolve the problem from that information, then please supply a potted history of FH re-installations, PC to PC moves, etc, since you created the Book, and post a screenshot of your Windows Explorer file structure similar to the one in the Project Structure section.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
bormley
Gold

Post by bormley »

Hi Mike

Thank you for your suggestions and many apologies for not acknowledging your reply earlier; I don't know how I missed it!

I have checked as in your message and can report the following:

What does FH say in the very top window border Family Historian Gedcom or Family Historian Project?
It says Family Historian Gedcom.

Can you open your Projects via the File > Project Window?
No, the only one I can see is the FH Sample Project.

Now, a potted history since I created the book:
Hmm, to the best of my memory, on my Desktop PC, I was running FH 5, then 6, under Windows 8.1 but was having problems with Windows Updates. (I needed Windows Updates to work properly so that I could update to Windows 10 when available.) So, I did a clean reinstall of Windows 8.1 - inadvertently deleting ALL my data.

Fortunately I have duplicate external backups so was able to retrieve data but somewhere along the line I seem to have lost my .fh_proj files. (This was not necessarily during the W8.1 reistall!)

I haven't moved any data from PC to PC although I do use my PC and my laptop to run FH.
I attach a screen shot of my File Structure as suggested. (I use Dropbox as my FH file location as part of my backup system.)

I seem to have all my data but no Project Folder. Is there any way to reinstate my Project Folder, please, as I do like its facilities - particularly Publish.

Many thanks again for any assistance you can provide.

Kind regards

Chris Palin
Attachments
Screen Shot 09-03-15 at 04.57 PM.JPG
Screen Shot 09-03-15 at 04.57 PM.JPG (107.74 KiB) Viewed 3389 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, have a look at how_to:v4:understanding_projects#project_structure|> Project Structure.

It explains the Project folder structure, and you have a replica in your Family Historian Sample Project.

Assuming your Gedcom files are within their ...fh_data folders then the missing .fh_proj files are the only problem.

You can recreate them by copying the one in the Family Historian Sample Project and renaming to match your Projects.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry