* FH6 won't Install in Windows 10

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
paul1948
Family Historian: V6

FH6 won't Install in Windows 10

Post by paul1948 »

I am running Windows 10 Technical Preview over Windows 8 and want to install FH6 but it hangs when it gets to "Registering key components". I have tried with Win 8 Compatibility mode and Administrator permissions. FH4 does appear to install (with Win 7 Compatibility mode) but won't run. Does anyone have any ideas? I would have thought with Win 10 release imminent that FH would have a handle on this?
TimTreeby
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: FH6 won't Install in Windows 10

Post by TimTreeby »

I had tried this when beta testing and found that

Version 2 Installs and opens fine
Version 3 Demo (Read-Only) installs and works fine.

On upgrading V2 to V3, Version 3 does not work.

I presumed was to do with how the activation key gets to be input.

Did email support and they said would look at testing with Windows 10 once the Beta testing was finished. Obviously they have needed to fix small problems which only became apparent after FH6 went on general release first.
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by NickWalker »

paul1948 wrote: I would have thought with Win 10 release imminent that FH would have a handle on this?
It isn't really imminent as it is unlikely to be released before summer, e.g. July/August for OEMs and volume customers and perhaps later than that as a general release - some have been speculating October? I don't think anyone really knows yet other than being described as late 2015. So far each of the test versions of Windows 10 being released have included major changes from the previous so Windows 10 is still evolving. For example the Spartan/Edge browser isn't there yet. I think it would perhaps be more likely that currently Calico are trying to fix the various bugs that have been reported with FH 6 on available Operating Systems rather than trying to get it working with Windows 10 yet. Though of course I may be wrong and they may be working on it already. :D

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, personally I would far prefer Calico Pie devote their efforts to fixing the long list of V6 bugs rather than to Windows 10.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I understand that Calico are aware of the problem and are waiting on the release candidate, rather than the Technical preview before changing anything as similar problems have occurred with early releases of Windows which have been resolved by later release candidates.

My reading on the TP is that it will end next month, presumably to be replaced by a full Beta, and then by a Release candidate towards the end of the year.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."