* FH Estimated Age when no Birth Date

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: FH Estimated Age when no Birth Date

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is true (and Cremation) but there is no associated Age display affected.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

As a related comment (but not directly answering the original question), if you use Ancestral Sources to add baptisms you do have the option to create an estimated birth date e.g. one month before the baptism though this is configurable and totally optional. Personally I find that when I get back to ancestors in the 1700s before census and birth registration, it is very rare to ever find out a birth date (though some baptism parish records do include them), so I prefer to estimate the birth date as being in the month before the baptism rather than not have a birth fact at all. Of course this date could be totally wrong but the date is marked as estimated and linked to the baptism source which indicates to me that I can't totally trust this. If I find a record later that suggests they were baptised when they were older, then I would change the estimated date based on the new evidence. Getting back to the original point of the thread, of course having this birth fact created at the same time as the baptism fact means that estimated age is shown in marriage (and other) facts too.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

I create a birth record for all individuals. If I only have a baptism, i just give birth date BEFORE unless it is obvious form other detail an earlier estimate would be more meaningful, then there are various scenarios, probably most used is CIRCA from say census, although I suppose that could be CALCULATED, where I have no evidence I look at the individuals circumstances and use ESTIMATED.

This has 2 main advantages: easier to track/connect people in the database, especially with a common name, and makes sorting out who is likely to still be alive when publicly sharing data.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Wish List item Ref 540 Display estimated Age when no Birth Date has been created.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry