* Clean Living People plugin question

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Clean Living People plugin question

Post by BillH »

Jane,

Would it be possible to modify the Clean Living People plugin to have an option or options to remove all nicknames, prefixes, suffixes, titles, alternate names, and any other name related fields for living individuals? For living individuals I would like to have just the name "Living" and no other name related fields.

Thanks!
Bill Henshaw
davidm_uk
Megastar

Re: Clean Living People plugin question

Post by davidm_uk »

As a long time user of Res Privata I would like an option to keep the living individuals Name and Year of birth and marriage (if applicable), and remove everything else including all other facts, citations, sources*, and notes (all of them).
*not sure about what to do with a source for a living person that is also cited for a non living person (eg. my birth source might also be cited in my parents records). Probably safest to remove it.

I'm sure that many others will have their own preferences, so maybe almost impossible to cover all permutations, but like BillH I would like to see a much simpler approach to obtaining an export Gedcom, as I like to update my Ancestry tree quite frequently and using permutations of "tools" is time consuming and, more importantly, prone to operator error.

I also echo Bills comments in the other thread re thanking Mike and Jane for all of the work that they do in supporting this Forum and creating all these great plugins. A huge THANK YOU
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I will try and have a look at this, but work is pretty hectic at the moment.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Hi Jane,

Thanks for looking into this when you have a chance.

Another item has come up that is probably a bigger problem. Individual/Family <whole record> Source Citations and Source Citations on Name fields are causing a problem for living people. I'm not sure if there are others as well. For me the associated source name often has the names of the individual or individuals in it so it defeats the purpose of changing the name to "Living". Could the plugin be modified to have an option to remove all citations for living people when you get a chance?

See this post, creating a file for Ancestry with no facts for living individuals (14691), for more information on the issue.

Thanks!
Bill Henshaw
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

Jane,
Mike suggested that I should post this here (ref ): creating a file for Ancestry with no facts for living individuals (14691)

Not sure if it's best here or in a separate post, but for any new version of Jane's Clean Living People plugin can I add my request for an option(s) to be able to retain individual primary full name, and year of birth and marriage, but remove everything else for living people:
subsidiary NAME fields such as NICKname, etc, or Alternate Name fields, or Aliases or Titles (I think that Sex could be left, it's usually implied by the name anyway, I don't know about Custom ID having never used it)
source records cited for living people even if they are also cited for non living people
all facts except birth and marriage (just keeping the year for those)
all notes associated with individuals, families (see below), citations, sources

If either parent of a child/children is living then their children should be cleaned as if living (even if they had died - except that a death year could be shown if that's not too complex.
If one person from a couple is living then both individuals should be treated as living except that the marriage year and death year should be shown for the deceased individual.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I am planning to publish my Clean Living Persons Plugin in the Plugin Store next week to supercede Jane's Clean Living People Plugin. I think that will satisfy everyone.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Thanks so much!
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The new Clean Living Persons Plugin Version 1.3 Date 16 Mar 2017 has now been published in the Plugin Store to supersede Jane's Clean Living People Plugin Version 1.2.3 Date 25 Mar 2014.

The how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia#export_to_website_without_sensitive_data|> Export to Website Without Sensitive Data has been updated.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry