* creating a file for Ancestry with no facts for living individuals

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: creating a file for Ancestry with no facts for living individuals

Post by BillH »

Mike,

It has been keeping a location in the data references. The last one was ScreenPosition=-1082,273.

With the two new plugins everything is working great. For both plugins there is no flash on the primary screen and the primary window opens on my FH monitor.

I tried a few invalid data references in Clean Unwanted Fields and the validity check worked great.

Thanks again!
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Excellent. Thanks for speedy testing of those features. They will appear in the next published versions, but I will wait a while to see if anyone discovers any other issues that need fixing.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
imac_boy
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Post by imac_boy »

On 9 Feb 2017 tatewise gave this advice:-

May I suggest these three simpler but more comprehensive steps:
Use File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File to create a Gedcom of all Individuals with all Note, Multimedia, and Repository records excluded.
Use the Clean Living People plugin to change the Name of the living Individuals to "Living" and remove all their Facts.
Use the Export Gedcom File plugin to create a more Ancestry compatible Gedcom for such as Fact Witnesses, Age & Address data, Place records, and many more.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

Referring to the above advice given by Mike Tate, I don't know whether I am been particularly thick, but I have created a GEDCOM file using the export GEDCOM file and after excluding the Note Records, Source Records and Repository Records, how do I then run the Clean Living People plugin and the Export Gedcom File plugin?

A message did pop up to ask me if I wanted to open another instance of Family Historian to view the exported file to which I clicked on No, because previously when exporting to Ancestry I haven't done anything further, but maybe this prompt occurs because I have installed the Clean Living People plugin? Presumably I also need to install the Export Gedcom File plugin (if have not yet done that), and do then carry out the review that I have been prompted to carry out?

I would be most grateful if someone could clarify this though before I proceed. I am by the way creating a file for My Heritage, but presumably the same process applies??
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Clean Living People Plugin has actually been superseded by the Clean Living Persons Plugin.

So it would be best to download both the Clean Living Persons Plugin and the Export Gedcom File Plugin from the Plugin Store before doing anything else.

After using File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File to exclude particular records, FH will always offer to open the exported Gedcom file, which you should accept, because that is how you run the Plugins on it, in the new instance of FH.

Then run both Plugins and note the Export folder from the Export Gedcom File Plugin.
That will contain the Gedcom file to transfer to My Heritage.

See the Help & Advice for both Plugins.
plugins:help:clean_living_persons:clean_living_persons|> Clean Living Persons Plugin
plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:export_gedcom_file|> Export Gedcom File Plugin especially plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:myh_myheritage_family_tree|> Export Gedcom File ~ (MYH) MyHeritage Family Tree

Also see how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia|> Exporting a Family Tree with/without Media especially under Export to Website Without Sensitive Data.
imac_boy
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Post by imac_boy »

tatewise. I am indebted to you and after seeing reviewing the UDF list I can see why previous uploads to Ancestry have turned out to be semi-failures!!! I will carry out all these suggested actions & hopefully this attempt will be more successful. :D
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I thought you were uploading to MyHeritage not Ancestry?