* Quick Child/Family Snapshot

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Quick Child/Family Snapshot

Post by tatewise »

I have adapted my prototype so that the new Root Person is only chosen if you actually click on the embolden Name.
So as long as you click somewhere blank it should be OK.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Mike,

Did you update 0.9.7 or will it be a new 0.9.8? I re-downloaded 0.9.7 and installed it and it still allows me to click on any portion of the line to set a new root person.

By the way... thanks for all the work on this plugin and all the other work you do here on FHUG. Have a happy holiday season.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, here is Quick Family Facts Version 0.9.8 Date 24 Dec 2016.
[Attachment deleted as now in Plugin Store.]

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

Looking good here, Mike - many thanks.

Incidentally, I have now been able to reproduce the Ctrl and mouse scroll to change the font size in a single pane. When the font size slider has focus, then Ctrl does inhibit the change of size, as I reported before. But if I click in a pane to give it focus and then use Ctrl + mouse wheel, the font size changes as you discovered.

However... on my Windows 7 system, with the slider in focus, the mouse wheel changes the font size in the opposite direction to what you'd expect. With a pane in focus and using Ctrl, it works in the usual way. :?

Arthur
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I agree the slider controls are perverse, but that is the way the IUP library works.
e.g.
Page Up and Up Arrow and Left Arrow decrease point size to the left.
Page Down and Down Arrow and Right Arrow increase point size to the right.
Mouse-wheel is opposite to normal.
Home sets 4 Point and End sets 20 Point.

It is possible to invert the slider left-to-right, so 20 Point is at left end and 4 Point is at right end, such that:-
Page Up and Up Arrow and Left Arrow increase point size to the left.
Page Down and Down Arrow and Right Arrow decrease point size to the right.
Mouse-wheel is same as normal.
Home sets 20 Point and End sets 4 Point.

Which is preferable?
Wilfreda99
Diamond

Post by Wilfreda99 »

Even better, thank you, I like the facility to click on a name and make that the root person and that font size can be altered within a pane as well as for the whole window.
I don't have an opinion re the arrows since I only really use the mouse control.
This is mainly to thank you for the info re the 'Separation' fact. I couldn't find it at all but then stumbled across the 'extended' facts - now my unmarried couple who separated look perfect.
All these years of using FH and now I have found a whole new set of things that I had never noticed before.
Happy New Year
Chris
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

tatewise wrote:I agree the slider controls are perverse, but that is the way the IUP library works.......

It is possible to invert the slider left-to-right, so 20 Point is at left end and 4 Point is at right end, such that:-
Page Up and Up Arrow and Left Arrow increase point size to the left.
Page Down and Down Arrow and Right Arrow decrease point size to the right.
Mouse-wheel is same as normal.
Home sets 20 Point and End sets 4 Point.

Which is preferable?
Personally I think this inverted behaviour sounds on the whole more intuitive. However, I'm mostly a mouse-wheel person, and if I spun the wheel and found I'd picked the wrong direction, I'd simply spin it back the other way. If I wasn't using the mouse-wheel, I'd almost certainly use the slider, which tells you what to do - and again, you can move that easily with the mouse instead of having to select and hit a different key.
(BTW: Mike Tate says in Windows 10 you don't have to select anything; the slider for the keys and mouse work from scratch and you only need to hover the mouse in each pane.)

I suspect changing the behaviour like this is going to have a much greater impact on those who use their keyboards more for this kind of thing, so possibly their opinions should be given more weight.

Arthur
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have made a few late changes to the Plugin, before publishing in the Plugin Store, as per the attached Quick Family Facts Version 0.9.9 Date 11 Jan 2017.
[Attachment deleted as now in Plugin Store.]

It now highlights Individual Names as the cursor hovers to show they can be clicked to select a new Root Person.
The To previous Root and To following Root buttons navigate through previously selected Root Persons.
The Font Point slider has been redesigned and reversed as discussed earlier.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I havent downloaded this very latest nor followed the refinements -

But just to let you know Mike that I did immediately use this plug in on the Project I just brought in from TMG - It has many cousin marriages and your Snapshot plug in gave me the surnames I used to see in TMG - just what I wanted. I cant thank you enough.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

The new version seems to work very well, but the pop-up says "Click on bold Name to select them ..." while what I see is not bold but underlined with a shaded background.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I could change wording to "Click highlighted Name to select them ..." which applies even when not hovering over a Name.

The Names are always bold all the time, and the underline and shading only gets added when you hover.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

Yes, since all the names are in any case bold, it would be clearer if you change the wording as you suggest above.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

I can see where you're both coming from with regard to links, and I'm not sure whether it's better to describe the names in their hovered or unhovered state. However, I found the highlighting very pale, to the extent that it didn't seem to be adding anything. This could of course be a feature of my set-up or my eyesight, but I would have found "Click underlined Name..." more appropriate.

I wonder too with the reference to Root Person in the pop-up, whether it needs to be made clear in any notes/instructions that this applies only to the plug-in window, and the Root Person in the main program windows remains unchanged?

Finally, if it's not too late, could I possibly suggest another enhancement? With the facility to change text size in individual boxes and the size of the boxes themselves, would it be possible to have some kind of Reset/Reload button to restore the plug-in window to its default state on first opening? OK, you can achieve the same by clicking on another person and then back, so it's not a big issue, but it was just a thought that occurred to me.

Arthur
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't like the idea of "Click underlined Name..." because the Root Person is always underlined and is the one name that cannot be clicked.
By "Click highlighted Name..." it is intended to imply any bold Name that is also underlined and background highlighted when you hover over it, but was a bit too much of a mouthful for the popup tooltip to say all that :)
I could make the background highlight a little darker, although nobody asked for the underline/highlight, but I thought it more consistent with hyperlink conventions.

I chose Root Person to be quite distinct from File Root or Diagram Root or the Home or Focus buttons, and I don't want to produce a Help page for this Plugin. If the popup tooltip gets too long with advice, then it needs to stay up longer in order to read it, and then it gets in the way of using the Plugin.

I did consider having a Restore Defaults button, but in fact simply adjusting the Font Point slider restores the fonts and box proportions, but within the same window size.
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

tatewise wrote:I could make the background highlight a little darker, although nobody asked for the underline/highlight, but I thought it more consistent with hyperlink conventions.
A darker background would work better for me, but see what others think.
I don't want to produce a Help page for this Plugin. If the popup tooltip gets too long with advice, then it needs to stay up longer in order to read it, and then it gets in the way of using the Plugin.
Fair enough, and there probably isn't a better term than Root Person.
I did consider having a Restore Defaults button, but in fact simply adjusting the Font Point slider restores the fonts and box proportions, but within the same window size.
My memory (possibly faulty) is that it used to work like that, but I've noticed in the latest version that while box proportions do seem to change as you say, if you selectively increase the font size in one box, then move the slider, the font in that box stays bigger than the others. This was what prompted my suggestion.

Arthur
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, yes you are correct about the font size. I will have a look at that.

It appears that a simple Plugin change will allow changing Font Point to reset all panes.
Similarly, changing the BMD Events shown will usually reset all panes.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

At last Quick Family Facts Version 1.0 Date 20 Jan 2017 is in the Plugin Store.

The highlight background is now a little darker when you hover the cursor over a name.

Altering the Font Point or the BMD Events option will now restore the default font and height of each pane.
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

Looks good here. Thanks for all your work on this.
Trivvie
Platinum

Post by Trivvie »

Thanks for all the hard work you have done on this plug in. It is great
Liz
FH V7.0.22
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Shortly I intend to delete all the prototype Quick Child/Family Snapshot/Facts plugins attached to this thread leaving just the Quick Family Facts version in the Plugin Store.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I have just had the courage to delete all old versions, downloaded the Store version and again used it on a file just brought into fh, this time with many families I dont know at all well. It is excellent Mike.

And Alt T Q which I also owe to you, works perfectly.
MarkB
Diamond
Family Historian: V5

Post by MarkB »

Thank you Mike, great job.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Since I was happy with a very early version of this plug in and used it, I clearly didnt grasp every stage of its later development. Thus until today, recommending it to someone (ex TMG) in an email, I didnt realise that one could click on the names to move to a new root person.

I am posting this simply to thank you Mike and express admiration. That is truly impressive and useful. I just used it to explore relatively unknown cousins of my husband's family - Our family trees are now coming into fh one by one and what you have contributed is priceless.
Wilfreda99
Diamond

Post by Wilfreda99 »

Many thanks Mike for all your hard work, this will be very useful.
ronk
Superstar

Post by ronk »

Just discovered another work of what I call Mike's Magic, the Quick Family Fact popup, and assume this thread is about that. Very snappy indeed. Navigation substitute of the focus window too to traverse up, down and around.

Would be great to have the ID's displayed as well, or be able to right click to the focus window for the popup active individual. Or is this not possible because of the following observation? Or some other way to get to the 'root' person of the popup.

Brings up a general question. I notice that while in plugins that FH's normal windows are unavailable, so they are like sub actiions which must be completed before returning to FH's windows. Likely an architecture issue, but would be nice if the plugins were in their own window and one could switch back and forth.
Ron Krzmarzick~~ FH 7.0.20 TNG 14.0.2 website Roots & Relatives Remembered, Laragon 5.0, Win 11 pro