* Source output in Reports - Call Number.

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Source output in Reports - Call Number.

Post by E Wilcock »

In an Individual Narrative report generated in fh from a TMG Project several of my source citations culminate in the words "Call Number: " with no following data.

The source type is not always the same - Parochial Records, a Family Tree sent by another researcher, a file from a town archive.

Examining the source record and its fields in the (Source list) Source property box. I cant see a field for Call Number on the Source record.

The error could arise in my use of the fh Report choices but I think there is only a limited choice about what source and citation fields appear in the report.

If I go to the Property Box for the person and open the fact to which the source is attached, I can see that the Where within source field is empty. But this isnt a call number. I have not to my knowledge ever used the term in genealogy.

It didnt occur when I made a similar report from a Project started in fh, so I suspect it may be a TMG import issue. One doesnt realy want empty fields hanging around.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Re: Source output in Reports - Call Number.

Post by AdrianBruce »

Call Number - assuming as always that we are talking about the same thing - provides added detail to the link from the Source to the Repository by allowing one to input the Call Reference / Call Number / Reference etc of the Source Document within the Repository.

I access it on the Source Record window as a subsidiary beneath the name of the Repository - but I have moved things around a bit.

If you look at the "All" tab for a Source Record and click on Repository, it's actually "Identification" under the Repository value.
Adrian
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you. One of the records affected is in a German archive (the repository). I can see the field marked identification and it is blank (no data). How can I prevent it showing up in every source that is linked to a TMG repository?

I used the Repository fields a lot - Even if only to mark the papers I hold in my own house. Or to differentiate between census records read on ancestry etc on line or read off the film in the old days.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If the field is empty then FH will remove it when next saved and opened.
Just ensure any contents of the Identification box is deleted, even if it is space character.

In Reports it is governed by the Report > Options > Sources > Repository Id for Source under the Include Repository Information options.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Will do Mike. As far as I could see there was no visible data in that field at all. It seems to be called Source Identification.

I ran a custom query and nothing turned up which had data in that identification field. It is affecting every repository record on this import. 67 instances.
Sorry - Have now discovered that one needs to create a report before setting the options. I have unchecked the box and everything is fine.
I never intended to bring my TMG Projects into another program. But I had a day to spare and am grateful for your patience. A day well spent.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You need to create a Query Type of Source (not Individual or Family or Fact, etc.)
When you use the New Custom Query command you have that choice.

Then add the Column for Repository + Identification
In the Rows tab add Exclude if %SOUR.REPO.CALN[1]% is null
(You can pick that Data Ref from the drop-list down-arrow at right of the Expression box.)

Then in the Result Set select the entire Repository Identification column.
(Select 1st cell, hold Shft key and click last column cell.)
Now hit the Delete key and you will be prompted if you are sure, so click OK.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry