* Multiple census entries for one year.

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Multiple census entries for one year.

Post by E Wilcock »

I am in the process of designing and trying out a custom template or two for censuses and lists. Early stages still.
Ancestral sources is warning me that I should not add a second census entry to an individual for the same year. It may not even be possible to do this without overwriting.

I need to do this as it does crop up. It is common on the outbreak of war e.g. in 1914 and 1939 for governments to list their population, including foreign and enemy nationals.
If any person emigrated or was repatriated to their country of birth, they could turn up in a second census list.

Can I persuade Ancestral Sources that if the country or date of census is not the same, I can have a second entry for the same year?
And does the current warning mean it will over write my existing data?
DavidNewton
Superstar

Re: Multiple census entries for one year.

Post by DavidNewton »

I can't answer the OPs question but I would point out that there are other circumstances where individuals are listed twice on the same census and these are just the ones I have come across in my file. A great-aunt who married just prior to the 1911 census and is listed in both her father's household and her husband's household, a commercial travellor who is listed both at home and in a hotel, an ancestor who moved house just before the census and is listed at both his old and new addresses.

David
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Multiple census entries for one year.

Post by tatewise »

The message is just a warning saying:
This individual already has a census entry for this year.

The option below by default allows a new Census Event and associated Occupation, etc, facts to be produced even if the same Date. It is only if you tick that option will the original Census Event be replaced.

So by default AS lets you do what you want and have two Census Events in the same year, and even on the same Date.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry