* How To Get Nicknames To Show In Reports?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
edmacke
Famous
Family Historian: V7

How To Get Nicknames To Show In Reports?

Post by edmacke »

I have a nickname for a person, but there doesn't seem to be any way for it to show up in reports.

For example, I have a "Matilda Smith" and I've entered her nickname of "Tillie".

But in the reports, instead of seeing the Matilda 'Tillie' SMITH I would expect, I simply get Matilda SMITH. No nickname :x

Alternate names works: if I put in an alternate name of "Tillie Smith", the report will show Matilda SMITH (also known as Tillie SMITH), but that's not really what I want.

Also, all the extra name fields except nickname seems to show up: if I fill in prefix, suffix, and given name used, I can get something like Dr. Matilda SMITH Jr. (known as 'Given Name', and also as Tillie SMITH).

So how do I get nickname to show up in reports?

I saw some forum questions that seemed to indicate it was a pending feature request, but they are from 2007.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: How To Get Nicknames To Show In Reports?

Post by LornaCraig »

There is a plugin written by Mike (Tatewise) called Adjust AKA Names for Reports. Its description reads:
Temporarily adds Also Known As (AKA) Alternate Names, Nicknames, Given Names, Surname Prefixes, etc, to the Primary Name for inclusion in Reports that do not support such names.
The (aka: Names List) can be added before or after the Primary Surname and later automatically removed.
Give that a try.
Lorna
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

If you are using Narrative Reports, then you can adjust one of the sentences to include the Nickname. I've adjusted the sentence for the birth event to
<Later nicknamed {%CUR_PRIN.NAME[1].NICK%},> {individual} was born< {date:DAY_OF_WEEK}>< {date:LONG}>< at {address}>< {place}>.
That produces (e.g.) "Later nicknamed Ted, he was born Thursday 20 July 1905." It might not be the best grammar, but I'm sure it can be improved. Obviously it needs a birth event to hang the nickname onto and I'm sure there might be other issues, but that's my start.
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There are several aspects and options.

Some Reports such as Individual Summary and Family Group Sheet do include a Nickname entry by default.

It is only Narrative Reports that, despite displaying everything else, bizarrely omits Nickname.
Could you remind Calico Pie of this problem using the how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting method.

The Adjust AKA Names for Reports Plugin will insert (aka: Nickname) into the Primary Name field.
e.g. Matilda (aka: Tillie) SMITH.

Alternatively, you can do that by hand and simply insert 'Tillie' into the Primary Name field.

Finally, the Report Heading could be customised to include the Nickname.
Use Report > Options > Format tab and select Record under Heading near bottom.
Click Edit and enter the following Heading Text expression :-
%INDI.NAME:GIVEN_ALL%=CombineText(" '",%INDI.NAME.NICK%,"' "," ")%INDI.NAME:SURNAME% (=LifeDates2())
That should display as Matilda 'Tillie' SMITH without upsetting headings without a Nickname.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
edmacke
Famous

Post by edmacke »

Thanks everybody for the helpful tips.

It sounds like the easiest (although least satisfying) way would be to simply include the nickname as part of the name field, e.g. Matilda "Tillie" Smith. I think that would reliably give me Matilda "Tillie" SMITH in all reports, all locations, with no other changes, correct?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Correct.
But please report your problem to Calico Pie, as the more they get hopefully the sooner it will get fixed.
edmacke
Famous

Post by edmacke »

But please report your problem to Calico Pie, as the more they get hopefully the sooner it will get fixed.
I will go do that now.

It seems like the reports where Nickname is displayed as a separate field (i.e. "Record Detail - Individuals" and "Individual Summary Report"), the nickname is displayed correctly in the field labelled "Nickname".

But even on those reports, it is still not included as part of the formatted name. For example, even the "Individual Summary Report" says "Matilda Smith", then later specifies the fields for that person are Name=Matilda SMITH and Nickname=Tillie.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Correct again.

The underlying problem is %INDI.NAME:ADORNED_FULL% adorns the name with everything except the Nickname.
This was originally pointed out to Calico Pie during Beta testing over 2 years ago.

If it included "Nickname" just before Surname, as many other products do, then it would appear where names currently appear, or could easily be added by using that data reference. Whereas it is quite tricky to insert currently, as my earlier expression illustrates.
dewilkinson
Superstar

Post by dewilkinson »

For my caption in the property box I use:-

%INDI.NAME[1].NPFX% %INDI.NAME:GIVEN_ALL%=CombineText(" '",%INDI.NAME.NICK%,"' "," ")%INDI.NAME:SURNAME% %INDI.NAME[1].NSFX% (=Relationship(FileRoot())) [=RecordId()]

This will give for example Dr. John Robert 'Jack' Bloggs JP CChem MRSC (grandfather) [3]

Whilst this is a bit long if %INDI.NAME[1]:ADORNED_FULL% (which I used to use) included the nickname as well an alternative would also have to be provided excluding the nick name for those that didn't wish for it to be included. As a previous software developer these type of things are always a dilemma. You can't please every one all of the time.
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The snag is that there are so many name fields.
To offer a Qualifier for every imaginable combination would take some doing.
The regular fields offered in the FH Names & Titles dialogue are:
Primary Name
Name Prefix
Name Suffix
Nickname
Given Name Used
In addition on the All tab are standard Gedcom fields:
Given this is an alternative to the given names in Primary Name field
Surname Prefix
Surname this is an alternative to the /surname/ in Primary Name field

The current Qualifiers offered:
FULL, ADORNED_FULL, PREFIXED_FULL, SUFFIXED_FULL show Primary Name with all combinations of Prefix & Suffix
PREFERRED, ADORNED show GIVEN + SURNAME and the same with both Prefix & Suffix
None of the additional standard Gedcom fields are supported by Qualifiers.

So perhaps there needs to be a set with _NICKNAME in place of _FULL.
Alternatively, simply a :NICKNAME qualifier to show Primary Name with embedded "NICKNAME" would do, and the Prefix and Suffix easily added with explicit data refs.

Also the Narrative Reports have Options for given Name Used and Adorn Names to include Given Name Used and Prefix & Suffix, but not Nickname.

BTW: David, your expression inserts redundant space characters before and after the name if there is no Prefix or no Suffix.
So strictly speaking there need to be =CombineText() functions for them as well as for Nickname.
dewilkinson
Superstar

Post by dewilkinson »

Mike,

Thank you for pointing that out. In the property window caption spurious spaces are of no consequence, but in a narrative or report they could be unwanted. Thus, I suspect I might be using CombineText a bit more as I do get a few odd extra spaces in sentences.
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
edmacke
Famous

Post by edmacke »

The regular fields offered in the FH Names & Titles dialogue are:
Primary Name
Name Prefix
Name Suffix
Nickname
Given Name Used
So, for my example, let's say I've populated those fields as:
Primary Name Matilda Susan /Smith/
Name Prefix Dr.
Name Suffix Jr.
Nickname Tillie
Given Name Used Jane Doe

1. What would be the ultimate name formatting to get that person's name to show as Dr. Matilda Susan "Tillie" SMITH Jr. (known as 'Jane Doe') wherever she appeared in reports? Obviously, the formatting would also have to work for all names, i.e. names with some fields left blank wouldn't have extra spaces.

2. Exactly where do I specify that? For other things, I normally use the "Tools > Fact Types... > Edit > Sentence Template", but that doesn't look like the right place.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The short answer is it's NOT currently possible to achieve that format everywhere names appear in all reports.

It is possible to get that format in the Name Header at the top of ALL reports.
It should also be possible in the Name fields of non-Narrative reports.
As AdrianBruce suggested it is possible to include that full name in a sentence of Narrative Reports.
Those three cases need three different customisations.

The essential formatting expression is :-
=CombineText("",%INDI.NAME[1].NPFX%" ","")%INDI.NAME:GIVEN_ALL%=CombineText(" ''",%INDI.NAME.NICK%,"'' "," ")%INDI.NAME:SURNAME%=CombineText(" ",%INDI.NAME[1].NSFX%,"","")=CombineText(" (known as '",%INDI.NAME[1]._USED%,"')","")

For Report Name Header use Report > Options > Format tab.
Under Heading select Report, click Edit, and enter above expression instead of %INDI.NAME:ADORNED_FULL%.

For non-Narrative Name fields, in Report > Options > Contents tab, use the Main Items section.
Hide the current Name item, and Add a Name item with above expression (or similar).

For Narrative Reports, use Tools > Fact Types, select the Fact (probably Birth) whose sentence needs altering.
This is based on the suggestion by Adrian Bruce earlier.
The Sentence Template will need to incorporate an expression based on the one above with the following adjustments.
Every INDI must be replaced by CUR_PRIN and every =CombineText(...) surrounded by { and }
i.e.
{=CombineText("",%CUR_PRIN.NAME[1].NPFX%" ","")}{%CUR_PRIN.NAME:GIVEN_ALL%}{=CombineText(" ''",%CUR_PRIN.NAME.NICK%,"'' "," ")}{%CUR_PRIN.NAME:SURNAME%}{=CombineText(" ",%CUR_PRIN.NAME[1].NSFX%,"","")}{=CombineText(" (known as '",%CUR_PRIN.NAME[1]._USED%,"')","")}
edmacke
Famous

Post by edmacke »

Mike,

Thanks so much for that thoroughly researched and detailed answer. I must say, that is A LOT of work to workaround a bug in the program.

On one hand, I think manually putting in the nickname in the primary field is light-years easier.

On the other hand, the organizer in me says nickname should be stored in the nickname field, and maybe Calico Pie will fix the adorned name display in FH 7 ;)

Decisions, decisions...
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

BUT remember you also asked for Given Name Used to be incorporated that adds a little extra complexity.
None of the current Qualifiers allow both the full Primary Name and the Given Name Used to be combined.

There is nothing to stop you using both the Nickname field and insert the nickname into the Primary Name.

The amount of work you perceive is coloured by several considerations.
You insisted on a very specific format for everywhere in every Report.

The non-Narrative ISR and FGS already show most fields by default and Given Name Used simply needs to be Shown, so does the Heading Name need to be changed?

The Narrative Reports are more of a problem if you want that comprehensive name within the sentences, requiring a Sentence Template change. Changing the Heading Name may be all that is really needed.

If you were a little more flexible about format, the expression can get a lot simpler. e.g.
Dr. Matilda Susan SMITH Jr. aka 'Jane Doe' nicknamed "Tillie"
%INDI.NAME:ADORNED_FULL%=CombineText(" aka ",%INDI.NAME._USED%,"","")=CombineText(" nicknamed ''",%INDI.NAME.NICK%,"''","")
edmacke
Famous

Post by edmacke »

Thanks, Mike.

I think I'll play around with the different options. I don't think I've ever used Given Name, that was more of just an example, so I could definitely live without that.

I'm definitely more interested in the narrative reports. Your suggestion of a heading-only approach sounds interesting. The only issue I could see would be when that person is referenced in other people's narratives, the nickname wouldn't be included. But that might not be that big of a deal, honestly.

Certainly plenty of options to try...
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You say: "The only issue I could see would be when that person is referenced in other people's narratives, the nickname wouldn't be included."

The narrative sentences in Narrative Reports pose a whole different set of issues.
Peoples names crop up in many contexts in many different sentences usually via Template Codes such as {individual}.
However, it does NOT read well if fully adorned names with nicknames, given names & alternate names are used everywhere.
Those are only needed when the person is first mentioned, and just He or She or unadorned Primary Name used thereafter.
In the same way, Place names are typically shortened after the first use.

To understand what I am talking about, adorn a person and some relations with Name Prefix, Name Suffix, Given Name Used, Alternate Names, etc, and produce various Narrative Reports for some of them.
By default, such report Options enable Name Used, Adorn Names, and Inc. Alternate Names, but not every first mention of a name includes all the name components; Nicknames never appear at present, and Alternate Names are never adorned.
  • When the person is the focus of the report, or their Spouse, then their paragraph starts with their fully adorned Primary Name followed by any Given Name Used and Alternate Names in parentheses.
  • When the person is mentioned as a Parent then only their fully adorned Primary Name is shown.
  • When the person is mentioned as a Child then the Primary Name is unadorned but any Given Name Used is in parentheses.
  • Other names only use the unadorned Primary Name.
If an Option to include Nicknames were added, and the above scenarios reviewed, then you need to consider exactly where the fully adorned & extended names should appear.