* Second spouse printing before first spouse on Narrative Reprt

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
GeorgeBlackadder
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Second spouse printing before first spouse on Narrative Reprt

Post by GeorgeBlackadder »

Hello,

Completely new to FH having used FTM for many years.

My problem is that my wife's grandfather's second spouse appears before his first spouse on the Ancesters' Narrative Report.

He was born in 1888, first wife in 1890, married in 1913. She died in 1952.

His brother was born in 1889, his wife in 1885, married in 1913. He died in 1943.

Wife's grandfather then married his dead brother's wife in 1953. The marriages appear correctly in the Focus Window so I assumed that everything would be in order in the reports.

Obviously we would like the marriages to show in the correct order on the Narrative Report so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
George
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Second spouse printing before first spouse on Narrative Reprt

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG George.

Those spouses are probably not in date order in the database.
You say they appear OK in Focus Window but I suspect they are in reverse order there too.
The simplest solution to correct that and other similar chronological errors is to use Tools > Re-order Out-of-Sequence Data.

More specifically, look in the Property Box for your wife's grandfather and check the Spouse tabs about halfway down the Main tab. They determine the order in Reports, and can be altered by using the black arrows to the right of the tabs.

As a newcomer may I suggest you study how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers and follow its links and advice into the rest of our Knowledge Base wiki, especially the Documentation and Tutorials to start with.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
GeorgeBlackadder
Silver

Hello Mike, and thank you for the reply.

I have followed your advice and re-ordered the data but recieved the meassage 'Re-ordering complete, 0 records updated'.

I have checked the Property box and the first spouse is definitely listed first (the black arrow indicates move down) and I have re-run the Narrative Report, however, the two wives are still printing in the incorrect order.

I did change the order of the spouses in the Property box and it changed the order in the Focus Window. Printing the Narrative Report still gave the incorrect order so I changed the order back. The Focus Window reflected that change, so I assume that I am still doing something wrong.

Thank you for pointing out the Knowledge Base for Newcomers.

Kind regards,
George
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I have just created a small family group with the relationships and dates you have given, and the two wives do appear in the correct order in the Ancestors by Generation report, as shown in the attached screenshot.

Are you perhaps confused by the fact that after both wives have been stated there is then a separate line about the second wife, before the section number 4 about the first wife? This is because the second wife does not have a section of her own (as she is not an ancestor) so any additional information about her will be listed within the Grandfather's section. The first wife then has a section of her own after the Grandfather's section.

If you don't want any extra information about the second wife to appear, other than the fact that the Grandfather married her, click the Options button to the right of the report, and on the Main tab untick Non-Ancestral Spouse Events/Attributes. That extra line will then disappear.
Attachments
test report.JPG
test report.JPG (114.09 KiB) Viewed 3747 times
Lorna
GeorgeBlackadder
Silver

Hello Lorna,

Thank you, that change in Options has given me what I was originally expecting. I can see that it will take me quite some time to learn how to negotiate around FH.

Thanks again.
George
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Try and remember how long you took to become familiar with FTM and devote that much time to FH starting with the features for newcomers. It is a common mistake for new users to plunge in and start using FH extensively only to later wish they had spent a bit longer understanding its features and have to back-track and reorganise some data.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry