* Deleting Role Name

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
janefrances
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Deleting Role Name

Post by janefrances »

I have just added the source attribute Education and thought I would try and use the witness option on the fact tab and try and create a new role, which I have done, however it didn't give me the results I wanted. When i tried to delete it the role is still showing?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Deleting Role Name

Post by tatewise »

When creating a new Witness Role for a fact such as Education, it is not enough to just add it via the Facts tab Witnesses dialogue. You also need to update the Tools > Fact Types definition of that Education fact as summarised in how_to:narrative_report_fact_sentence_templates|> Narrative Report Fact Sentence Templates and is where the Role can be Deleted or the Templates adjusted to give you what you wanted.

Explain what you were trying to achieve, and maybe the Witness Role approach can still work for you.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
janefrances
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by janefrances »

What I want to achieve is that George is mentioned as her father on his daughters admission and a link to that fact. Maybe I shouldn't have used the witness Roll for this. Many thanks.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (65.32 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

There are a number of options.

You could simply cite that School Admissions Register source against George's Name field or <whole record> with a Citation entry in Where within Source or the Note to explain where George is mentioned.

If you go down the Witness Role route then George's Role would be Father.
See the Birth Event for an example, where the Sentence Template code {blank} means no sentence is added to Narrative Reports. Also whatever is in Past Tense will appear in George's Facts tab listing, and if it were Father during then George's Facts tab would say Father during Educ. Tilery Girls School of Alice PULLEN.

Depending on what you might want to appear in his Facts tab, and what sentences in both their Narrative Reports, then there is much scope to customise them to say whatever you like. If this is of interest just post here what you you would like to see.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry