* Adding person problem

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Adding person problem

Post by E Wilcock »

I may be posting out of turn here - but is it possible that the Adding parent then makes them the focus (14589) problem happens too in fh on its own - not just when one is using Ancestral sources.

I have been doing similar data entry (adding many new unrelated people) but using fh. Being a new user, I have imagined it was my error that I often need to disconnect the man I thought I was adding as father but who has appeared in the spouse box instead.

I dont know if I can reproduce it. But I shall soon be starting another substantial task of data entry and can watch out for it.
Valkrider
Megastar

Re: Adding parent then makes them the focus

Post by Valkrider »

@E Wilcock no the two are totally unrelated.

I have never experienced what you are describing in FH. If you can reproduce it then create a new thread in the FH forum rather than the AS one.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Adding person problem

Post by tatewise »

You mention adding new unrelated people, and then talk about adding a father who appears as a spouse.

When the problem arises which of the following are you using:
  1. Add > Unrelated Individual in main menubar?
  2. Add ...'s Father link in Focus Window?
  3. Add More Relatives for ... link in Focus Window?
  4. Blue Up button at top of Property Box and then the Add Father option?
  5. Something else?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike . I tried this morning and have not been able to reproduce this problem using the fh Sample Project.

So (with many apologies) it could have been my user error rather than fh. Which is what I assumed at the time. Over the period when I was adding many many new records, it happened enough to trigger a response - always to add the father or mother first. Thus avoiding it. I shall shortly be repeating massive data entry on another project and will note anything as it happens.

I also got into the habit of adding fictional fathers, if I have several siblings with no known parents. Is this necessary in fh?
I notice one can open the Parents and siblings tab and is offered the chance to enter sibblings without any parent data being present.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

No it is not necessary to create a fictional Father for Siblings.
As you have discovered, you can use Add Sibling for ... in the Parents & Siblings tab of the Focus Window.
There are other less convenient ways of achieving the same ends.

For the technically minded it creates a Family record with only Child links and no Husband or Wife link.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry