* Map window address bar

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
pwe
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Map window address bar

Post by pwe »

When viewing the map window I have tried using the "address bar" without success.
I type a location (eg Oxford) into the space to the right of the word "Location" and then press the green go to button. These are the directions in the relevant help page. The result I get is always a panel which says "no matches found".
I thought that this should identify Oxford [or whatever I have inserted] on the map.
Have I misunderstood or am I not using the facility correctly?
Thanks Peter E
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Map window address bar

Post by tatewise »

See Map Places doesn't work anymore (14387).

If it persists, try reporting to Calico Pie, as per how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

I haven't used the map place. What I do is put the address i my search browser and it will take you to where the location is. I discovered this by accident when I prompted a contact address on my mobile and it went straight to the address. Since then I have simply put an address on my browser and it took me to where it is located which is any where in the world.

Victor
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is handy Victor, but Peter wants to get the FH Map Window working so it maps the Place names in his Project data base automatically.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I have reported the map window geocode problem to Calico and understand they are looking into it.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

pwe,
Rest assured you are doing the correct thing, but for some reason the facility has stopped working. Like you, I have resorted to alternative means of finding places, such as google search, ipad maps app and my trustee gazeteer.
As you already know by now, Jane has reported this to Calico.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

I don't use the FH mapping feature to automatically find PLACES at all. I always use Google & Google Earth to find any locations that I add to my PLACE database. Using these two search engines, I then manually enter the latitude & longitude for each PLACE in FH. I also use Google to provide some history for each location, which I also copy into the Note box for each PLACE in my database. With Google Earth, you can zoom right down to a specific street location, if needed, and then copy the corresponding coordinates.

However, once I have manually entered the coordinates for each PLACE, I always then select the "Map Places for (individual)" to make sure that they plot accurately on the FH map.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If setting Lat/Long manually, it is advisable in Tools > Preferences > Map Window to tick Block Refresh for Non-tentative Geocodes otherwise the Lat/Long values can be easily upset accidentally when using the Refresh Geocoding.

I know Bob you are adding other details too, but to automatically geocode more effectively than FH itself you can use the Map Life Facts Plugin as advised in plugins:help:map_life_facts:the_faq|> Map Life Facts ~ Frequently Asked Questions
pwe
Famous

Post by pwe »

Thanks to all for the replies. I don't use the map feature often but recently I saw the location slot on the map screen and wondered what it was for.
I will leave it to Calico to fix.
Thanks Peter E
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

tatewise wrote:If setting Lat/Long manually, it is advisable in Tools > Preferences > Map Window to tick Block Refresh for Non-tentative Geocodes otherwise the Lat/Long values can be easily upset accidentally when using the Refresh Geocoding.
Yes, I always have kept "Block Refresh for Non-Tentative Geocodes" ticked, and "Enable Auto-Geocoding" unticked. Otherwise, I agree, there could be a lot of "coordinate" research undone.