* Displaying Occupation in Diagrams

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
NigelSomerset
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Displaying Occupation in Diagrams

Post by NigelSomerset »

Hi
Am looking to buy this programme rather than use FTM but am having trouble trialling the report diagrams. How can I force the diagram to only dispaly the single Occupation title that I enter in... I thinkit is called the popup individual prperty box. The Diagram field options all seem to pull up all Occupations hidden in the facts of the individual.. roughly 4 or 5 from the censuses. I just want to display the final one, or really the summary one I enter in this popup box that appears righthand side in v6.2 Thanks :D :?:
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Displaying Occupation in Diagrams

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Nigel.

By default I don't think the Diagram Boxes display Occupations at all, but just Name, Birth, Marriage & Death facts.
So I guess you have selected a different Text Scheme in the Diagram > Options > Text tab, but the default as you say is to show all instances of chosen facts.
If you have selected one of the All Events and Attributes schemes then there are few customisation options.
However, the other Text Schemes can be customised via the Clone and Edit buttons to show almost anything you wish.

In the Edit Text Scheme dialogue, select the Occupation Attribute on the left, click > in middle, and the Add Item to Text Scheme dialogue allows Instance to be All, First, or Last. When you get a little more expert, it is possible to show maybe the last two, or the first and last, or other combinations.

The Property Box on Main tab shows a summary of facts extracted from the Facts tab.
It is not a separate data set, but just a subset of all the facts, and you can customise that subset.
The Occupation box by default shows the First of the Occupation facts.
But you can customise the Property Box to show whichever ones you want.

I believe FTM allows a preferred Occupation to be identified, but that particular feature has no equivalent in FH, although various workarounds have been discussed in these Forums before.

As a newcomer I would advise working through how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers and following up its links to get a bigger picture of the capabilities of FH.

Maybe other FTM migrants will chip in with their views on FH.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NigelSomerset
Gold

Post by NigelSomerset »

Mike
Thanks for such a quick response, and really useful to understand how the background queries of the database are structured. And also the pointer as to how the Property Box default setting for pulling in Occupation data will be configurable if I keep hunting for the route in to do so. :D

I have on the forumsdiscovered a custom plugin that lists names, last 2 occupations, birth etc and think by cloning that customised Diagram Option and fiddling with it I can get the type of Diagram report I am after for the kids to enjoy looking over.

Overall am loving the software and the kids will be buying it for my birthday & christmas. Thanks again for your help

Nigel :D :D
Gowermick
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by Gowermick »

Nigel,
I was a long term user of FTM, before Ancestry pulled the plug. I bought FH at a genealogy fair, on the recommendation of a stallholder (My-History), due to its excellent charting abilities. So far, I am extremely pleased that I chose FH, as it gives me astounding access to the underlying data, something I found that FTM kept hidden.

Yes, FH does things differently from FTM, and there may be a bit of a steep learning curve, but this is easily offset by the extremely helpful people on this forum.

FH is developing all the time, and only recently added the automatic hints feature, which is similar to the shaking leaf hints of FTM, but it is not restricted to one site. It currently uses Findmypast and the Genealogist but I wouldn't be at all surprised if other sites were added in the future.

Mike
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
NigelSomerset
Gold

Post by NigelSomerset »

Mike
Thanks
Yes I am impressed also and will buy a copy. The learning curve will i think be worth the effort. And the forum also is very helpful

Nigel