* Died before marriage

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
janefrances
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Died before marriage

Post by janefrances »

I am creating a source for a marriage certificate for the brides father, however he was deceased. I just would like this to show as a fact. any ideas? :)
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Died before marriage

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

I would reccommend usinf Ancestral Sources to enter the data for your certificate, this will give you the option to mark the parent as deceased.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jane, I have move your posting into the General Usage Forum as the V4 Usage Forum is now dormant.
If we need to know which Family Historian Version you are using it should be evident from your Profile on the left.
However, you have not yet updated your User Control Panel > Profile as it still says Family Historian: None.

Marriage Facts and Sources

In this case the FH Version is not important.

As suggested by John, using ancestralsources:index|> Ancestral Sources is a good way of entering this data.

The general approach is to have one Source Record for the Marriage Certificate.
This will naturally be cited by the bride & groom Marriage Event.
It can also be cited by the bride's father's Death Event with a Date of Before <date of marriage>.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances »

Thank you both for your help. I use the AS for census returns however I like to know how to input my own sources and fact records within FH as well, so as to learn all about the program and what it has to offer.

If I added a occupation fact for the Brides father as Labourer (deceased) on the date of his daughters marriage the age always seems to show, making him older than when he actually died! :mrgreen: Is there any way within FH to disable this?

I already have the brides fathers' date of death so I don't really want another death event date. When I tried using the date of 'before date of marriage' it came up with his age as he would have been at the time of the marriage.

Thanks for letting me know about updating my profile Mike. Hope I've put this reply in the right forum.
Jane
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, your profile and posting are both OK.

You can now use AS for Baptisms and Marriages too - see the KB.

Sorry, I did not realise you already knew the bride's father's date of death and had a Death Event.
In that case simply add a citation for the Marriage Certificate to the existing Death Event.
It just adds some confirmation that the date you have recorded is correct.
Make sure this citation comes below the citation for his Death Certificate or whatever confirms his Death date, simply because it is less precise.

Likewise set the Date of his Occupation to Before <date of death> and cite the Marriage Certificate.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
janefrances
Famous

Post by janefrances »

Thanks again Mike, this is exactly what I wanted to achieve. I can see now where I was going wrong. :mrgreen: